Thursday, December 4, 2014

Persevere, Endure, Believe

These words have come up often on this blog in the last couple of years.  They are the words written on my RoadID bracelet and are words that I often come back to in training and daily life.  Here I am on the verge of another race, the final one for this year and I’m remembering those three words.  For me, this year has been a lesson in my potential (thank you Jen Harrison, I could not have done the things I did this year without you) and also in introspection.  I’ve said it time and time again this year that I’ve been continually learning what truly makes me happy, what makes me thrive and how to remove all the other crap that doesn't contribute to those two things.  I’m continuing to chase my happy, thriving self and, I have a feeling, that this will be a lifelong process but I'm ready, willing and able to keep chasing.

But I digress.  Taper brain has gotten the best of me this week and I’ve been questioning myself and my preparation but I keep coming back to those words on my bracelet-persevere, endure and BELIEVE.  (I also got the most encouraging email from Coach Jen telling me that I’m fit and ready and to not over-think taper.)  So, with that I’m doing my best to not to over-think the rest of taper and rather reflect on my training cycle.

So, on July 26th, the day I did the epically awesome self supported half ironman, I also hurt my foot.  I didn’t run for 6 weeks.  BUT when I was up and running again, on Sept 4I came back with a vengeance.  I’ve run with more purpose, more intensity and more volume than I have in training cycles past.  However, with the excellence guidance of Coach Jen, I’ve done so without burnout and without overtraining.   My runs were differentthis time around, I did long runs, speed work, focused hill training, HR zone training and even some back-to-back and double day runs.

As I said before IMAZ last year, I am trained, I am ready.  I believe that I am ready to PR my standalone marathon and more importantly, I really really want to.  I’m excited to run this race, to leave it all out on the streets of Sacramento and, regardless of the time on the clock, to run every step grateful for the opportunity to be out there, with the support of my family, friends and Coach Jen.  

It has been a great year and I’m ready for one last great race.  See you in Sacramento.