Saturday, November 29, 2014

Thankfulness

I may be a couple days late on this post but it is never too late to express your thankfulness, IMO.  So here I am with my thanksgiving leftover scramble and my homemade pumpkin pie coffee making my list.  There are always so many things to be thankful for and I feel like my list keeps getting longer and longer the older I get.

BUT before I start with the thankfulness list, around my thanksgiving day table we had a fun conversation about the thanksgiving day staples you couldn't live without and the ones you wouldn't miss.  I was the ONLY person that said I couldn't have thanksgiving dinner without TURKEY!  This has happened before but I'm always surprised how many people could do thanksgiving without turkey.  Among the most popular choices for MUST-HAVE items were stuffing and mashed potatoes (two things I really wouldn't miss...in fact, stuffing, even before the high-fat low-carb/NSNG/paleoesque lifestyle, was an item I have never liked).  My wouldn't miss items were...stuffing and gravy.  Think about your thanksgiving table, what could you live without and what absolutely MAKES your table?

Alright, onto the thankfulness list...most everyone starts with family, friends, significant others, all of these are absolutely essential in my life and people I am so grateful and thankful for but I'm going in a non-traditional direction here and starting with...

1.  Being comfortable in my own skin.  
It has taken me a long time to get here but man it feels good.  As Carrie said in Sex in the City, " The most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself."  True dat.

2. My Coach, Jen Harrison.
Wow, what a year it has been.  Jen has continually pushed me and taught me what I am truly capable of and it has been an amazing ride.  THANK YOU JEN!

3. Oregon.
Ha!  Many of you never thought in a million years that Oregon would ever make this list however, there are so many great things about this state and the people that live here I consider myself very lucky.  While I am and always will be, a sunshine loving California girl, Oregon has stolen a little piece of my heart. I resisted it for a long time, basically since I set foot in the state, but I've given up, Oregon, yes, I heart you too.

4.  My relationships.
It has been a year of introspection and through that I have learned just how important it is to have meaningful and fulfilling relationships.  Those that have been on this journey with me have been invaluable to the process.  Quality relationships are so important and I so appreciate the ones I have in my life--both near and far.  My relationships with my family, friends and my wonderful significant other are only growing stronger and deeper as the memories grow.  Thank you, thank you, I am truly thankful for each of you.

5. Movement.
This is the all encompassing thank you to my body for moving in all of the amazing ways that it has for my 32 years and change on this planet.  I love to be active and cannot imagine my life without movement.  When I'm old and gray I plan to be moving in whatever way I can.

Of course I am leaving all sorts of things off of this list but with those I am calling it.  Go out and be thankful!