Monday, May 5, 2014

A new year...

A lot of folks, including me, do New Years posts  in January but May 5, 2014 begins an important new year for me. 366 days ago, on May 4, 2013, this happened...



Since then, I have learned so much about myself, what I'm capable of and a lot about what I don't know about myself :). In some ways this has been the best year of my life and in others maybe the most introspective.

In the last year I have:
Swam 109.3 miles
Biked 2583.51 miles
Run 602.43 miles
And a combined total of 62 hours for all things strength, yoga and other exercises related. Since breaking my foot I've completed two 5ks, one 10k, two half marathons and one 140.6 epic adventure.

I've set several PRs, distance PRs and race PRs, and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I've learned I can push myself farther and faster than I thought I could. I'm learning what I'm passionate about and what I really want my life to look like. In that, I've learned a lot about myself and also I've learned a lot about what I don't know about myself. 


People looking at my last year probably see an amazing year of triumph--and don't get me wrong, I am super proud of my last years accomplishments. However, discovering new capabilities and a new sense of self also creates internal (and sometimes external) turmoil. I am learning what I want out of life--what I want my day-to-day life to look like, what and who I want to spend time with, what I truly love to do and what really matters to me. I am finally, after 31 years and 9ish months, in a place in my life where I truly like who I see in the mirror. It's taken a long time to get here--to be comfortable in my own skin, to really say what I think and how I'm feeling---now it's time to take that and run with it. In that I've also learned that I still have a lot of things to figure out and so much more life to enjoy.

Who knew a trip, fall, broken foot, DVT and an Ironman later would create such a learning and growth experience?!  Friends, family and readers of this blog, I challenge YOU to start thinking about what you really want out of your life---if you aren't living the life you want, make the changes to get there.  Lest this blog post turn into some hippy dippy new agey soap box of "following your dreams" I'm going to stop there.


Happy new year and cheers to figuring out how to love the person we see in the mirror everyday.