Friday, January 3, 2014

2014

Oh 2014 where do I even start with you?  As I said before, I wasn’t quite ready to let 2013 go but it came and went and here we are solidly in the first week of 2014.

Last year I declared 2013 the year of triathlon, little did I know exactly what that would really mean.  One thing is for sure, I am beginning 2014 different.  I am a different person than I was a year ago.  Every year we learn things, face new challenges and hit new milestones.  I’m still not completely sure what 2014 has in store for me but I know it will be great!

My teammate Maggie and I have exchanged a few emails about 2014 and she just recently posted her thoughts for the year ahead.  She posted a quote from Marissa Meyer CEO of yahoo, formerly employed by Google, that sums things up nicely, ‘Look, I just make a to-do list every day in priority order from most important to least important and celebrate the fact that I’d never get to the bottom of it, because if I did, I would have spent a bunch of time doing relatively unimportant things.’  I, like many, have a long list of goals, athletic and otherwise.  I enjoy always having this list and continuing to grow it.  I have mixed feelings about reaching the bottom of the list on the one hand, think of all that I would have accomplished but on the other, if I have an empty list, where did my dreams go?  I hope to always have dreams and ambitions as those are the things that make life interesting.


A lot of folks have been posting one-word inspirations for their year ahead or have a catchy mantra, for me, I keep going back to the words written on my RoadID—Persevere, Endure, Believe –and, the words of Mike Reilly at the start of IMAZ, “There will be things you can’t control but the one thing you can control is your attitude.” You’re not actually going to see a list of goal races here, mostly because I haven’t figured all of those details out yet.  What you ARE going to see is my 2014 words to live by/catchy mantra/whatever-you-want-to-call this---MY 2014 is going to be a year of using my new attitude and continuing to persevere, endure and believe!