Wednesday, January 8, 2014

2014 Pay it Forward

As some of you may have seen on my FB or Twitter feed I won Jen Harrison's Pay-it-Forward contest.  What that means is...I won a free year of coaching from Miss Harrison!  I am beyond excited and can't wait to get my ass handed to me, as I've heard she's an incredible, albeit, beastly coach.  As I said in my application to her, after 2013 I'm in a new place, mentally and physically.  I am ready for the challenges ahead and I'm grateful to be in the position I now find myself.

Jen is pretty well known in the triathlon world for her coaching.  She has many successful races under her own belt (hello multiple Kona's) as well as coaching many athletes to their PRs.  This is an incredible opportunity for me and one that I intend to use to its fullest advantage!  Especially as I pursue a year of reaching greater potential in my athletic endeavors and developing my own coaching clientele, I know Jen will become invaluable to both of these pursuits.

Some of you may be wondering, what about Coach Laura?  I'd be remiss if I didn't spend a few minutes on this topic.  Coach Laura is an amazing coach and I highly recommend her to anyone out there looking for a new coach.  Jen has actually coached Laura, including Laura's amazing performance at IMAZ in 2011 (10:46 finish time).  Laura is extremely supportive of my taking this opportunity to work with Jen this year and I have no doubt that I'll be keeping in touch with Laura, as she was not only my coach last year but became a good friend.  Laura got me through one of the most significant years of my athletic life...through my injury and through my race day triumph.  Through it all Laura really "got me" she knew when I needed a kick in the butt and when I needed a respite. I will miss Laura tremendously.  However, I know the opportunity to work with Jen may be a once in a lifetime.  I am extremely fortunate to have both of these ladies in my life and I don't plan on letting either of them go anytime soon!

Again, I cheers to 2014 and can't wait to see what the year will bring!