Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013: What a ride

Here we are at the beginning of a new year.  2013 was an epic year for me! In addition to the epic-ness of a major injury and a superstar comeback, I learned so much about myself this year.  I learned what a strong will I have and I found an inner positivity that I haven't had in a long time.  This year certainly wasn't all sunshine and roses.  There were tears, hurt feelings, loss and anger but overwhelming love and laughter to counterbalance. 

Somewhere along the 2013 journey, I said a big goodbye to my old attitude.  Not just my attitude about my athletic performance either, my attitude toward lots of things life.  Many of life's twists and turns don't twist or turn the way you think they are going to but that journey of twisting and turning in new and sometimes challenging ways is what changes us.  Would I change what happened on May 4th (aka broken foot day) this year?  Honestly, I don't think I would.  What I learned from that injury has forever changed the way I think about things.  Totally cliche but I am so much more grateful for my life, my friends and my family and for that, I am forever thankful to my broken foot.  Out of a broken bone and blood clots I uncovered a new me.

2013 will go down as a year I will never forget!  I am excited to see what 2014 has in store for me but first, I look back at the moments of 2013...


JANUARY 2013---

Trips to Bend and Whidbey Island, WA



 FEBRUARY 2013---

Biking the Banks-Vernonia Trail, spectating Mr. Pi's Hagg Lake 50k



MARCH 2013---

Easter baskets and sunshine




APRIL 2013---

Mr. Pi's 50-miler and biking with my Dad



MAY 2013---

Breaking my foot--testing my will



JUNE 2013--

Celebrating 6 years of marriage


JULY 2013--

Starting my epic comeback, first test run, first open water swim, first 50-mile ride of the year, first one mile continuous run





AUGUST 2013--

Mr. Pi's birthday celebrated with great friends, house boat trip, beaglepalooza, Boston/Maine trip, longest ride of the year (85 miles)










SEPTEMBER 2013--

Joining the century club! and saying goodbye to my good friend S =(





OCTOBER 2013--

Half marathon PR, 20 mile run with friends, Halloween, changing of the season





NOVEMBER 2013--

Mr. Pi's trail marathon adventure and IRONMAN ARIZONA!











DECEMBER 2013--

Christmas trees, Christmas lights and ships, California sunshine and sunsets, traditions...












CHEERS TO 2014 FROM MY EPIC FAMILY TO YOURS...