Thursday, June 27, 2013

Three Things Thursday: Turing a Corner edition

Today, finally, after several weeks of not really feeling like myself I feel GOOD!  I wouldn’t go as far as great but GOOD in CAPS with an exclamation point!

1.  Training. I’m back on my trainer and feeling good about it.  I wear my calf sleeves while riding and that seems to feel good.  They aren’t nearly as compression-y as the hideous old lady socks I wear on a daily basis but the sleeves do provide some support.  My swimming has been rockin’!  I have been swimming longer yardage than I was pre-injury and at a faster avg pace.  I can walk, almost as fast as normal, without pain. I have lost that limpin’ feeling (ha!).  Case in point, yesterday I walked about 2 miles over lunch and then after work, while spectating for Mr. Pi and Zach at the Portland Trail Series, Jen and I walked another 1.5ish miles!  Of course, I’m not even close to my 11 – 12 hour weeks like I was pre-injury but it’s coming back.

2.  Meds and my DVT.  Docs are continuing to adjust my meds as I’m not stably within the right range yet however, I no longer have to do injections and remembering the different dosages per day seems like a very small inconvenience in the grand scheme of things.  As far as the size/shape and otherwise of the clots, I can only think that they have decreased since my pain level has decreased significantly but I don’t know for sure.  My leg is generally still about ½ inch to an 1 inch bigger than my non-clotted leg.  (Exercise and icing seem to keep the swelling to the ½ inch or smaller level.)  I go into the doctor quite often for blood checkups but at my next longer appt I’m going to ask them to use the ultrasound to take a look.  I will receive a vascular scan again, with the fancy machine, of my entire leg at the three month mark (which will be September).  I am certainly hoping for good news but am taking my pain level decreasing as a good sign.

3.  In normal news…the weather.  So, I normally OBSESS about the weather and get really annoyed this time of year since the Portland isn’t known for its awesome spring/June weather.  However, I just checked the weather forecast, which I haven’t done in a while since it’s been gray, dreary and raining lately HOWEVER, I just checked the forecast and heck yeah…sunny and in the 80’s and 90’s! Yeah!  Now that I am much more mobile I plan to be outside as much as possible over the weekend.