Saturday, May 25, 2013

Let's Change the Subject

Yes, I'm still injured, still on crutches and still itching to get back to training, 3 weeks since the great break 2013...BUT...let's change the subject shall we.

Since cooking/baking is still something I can do while sitting in my office chair at home, I thought I'd share some of my food staples.  Also, I'll warn you, that I'm horrible at taking photos of food but I'm hoping some of these items will at least look a little appetizing because they are all 100% delicious.  I'm also not very good at following recipes, I basically look through recipes to gain inspiration not to actually follow them so my "recipes" below are really rough estimates.

The Green-Smoothie
I make many different variations of this beast.  The core ingredients of every smoothie I make are: 1/4 cup of berries, cinnamon, almond milk and greens but I've been experimenting adding things like: 

-Coconut Oil for flavor.  The smoothie above doesn't have any but I do sometimes add it.
-Beet Juice (from my new sponsor Biotta which you can pick up online or in some Whole Foods/local natural food store locations, they have a page on their website where you can find local retailers).  I have always loved beets (even though they make your pee pink) so I was curious about putting beet juice in my smoothie, turns out the flavor is very mild and the benefits are vast. If you want more on the health benefits, here is a great recap from my nutritionist teammate Tara Martine.  
-Greek Yogurt.  While I eat mostly a "paleo" diet I can't live without my greek yogurt.  In smoothies it adds a tangy flavor and creaminess.
-If I don't use almond milk, sometimes I'll use coconut water, coconut milk or sometimes just water if I'm using beet juice.



Recipe for smoothie above:
Some strawberries
1/4 cupish blueberries
2-3 heaping handfuls of spinach and kale
few dashes of cinnamon
1/4 cupish Biotta Beet Juice
2 TBSPish FF Greek Yogurt
1/4 cupish unsweetened almond milk

Put all ingredients in a blender, I use a Vitamix and blend away! (notice all the "ishs" added to the recipe above, I eyeball stuff I rarely measure.)


Chia Pudding
Sounds weird but man, oh, man this is good stuff!

Base recipe:
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 TBSP chia seeds
dash of cinnamon and vanilla extract

(This one I do actually measure as I've found this to be the best ratio to create a "pudding" like consistency.)

From there the possibilities seem to be limitless...I typically add berries, sometimes almond butter or peanut butter, apple slices, I have also made the recipe with coconut milk and pumpkin puree (um, hello, pumpkin pie).  Anyway, this stuff is delicious.

THE Lunch Salad
This salad has received a LOT of ridicule at work but screw them, this is delicious and filling!  I have since pared down this salad quite a bit since I'm no longer doing double days and my appetite is much less (read, often non-existent).


The salad above (from awhile back when I was still doing a lot of training) has the following:

1 bag of lettuce, mixed greens w/spinach and herbs
1/4 avocado
1/2 bell pepper
1 baby jazz apple
1/4 english cucumber
sprinkling of feta cheese
Salad dressing at work comes in the form of simple olive oil and balsamic that I keep in a drawer by my desk. Usually one spoonful of olive oil and a good dose of balsamic.

Come summer it'll be topped with fresh tomatoes from the garden!

PB-Cinnamon Coffee

This was my go-to pre-long workout food.  It's filling without giving me tummy trouble and it's liquid which is usually more appealing to me in the morning.


Base recipe:
1 Brewed cup of coffee, I use a k-cup machine but really any ol cup of joe will do
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1-2 Tbsp of all natural peanut butter (could also use almond butter)
dash of cinnamon and vanilla extract
Sometimes, I'd add coconut butter too would depend on the length of the workout.
BLEND!

(For a cold version, add ice and/or use cold brewed coffee)

Grain-free Cinnamon Rolls
These I actually just made these.  Of course, they aren't as good as a big ol sticky bun but for a (practically) guilt free treat they hit the spot.

I roughly used this recipe: http://www.keepitluce.com/2013/02/grain-free-cinnamon-rolls.html

Ingredients:




(not pictured, I did use a combo of melted butter with the coconut oil, vanilla and honey for the filling along with the walnuts and pecans above)

I strayed from the recipe link in a few ways.  I added a little water to the "batter" as it was pretty dry.  I also didn't use any honey for the roll, only in the filling.  I also didn't use nearly as much as it called for just a little for sweetness...I figured I could add some to the top when they were done, which I did.  I also baked my rolls at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, for me, 15 minutes was not nearly done enough.



Can't find your rolling pin, a bottle of wine will do just fine!




Served with butter, sprinkle of cinnamon and squirt of honey.



Favorite blogs w/recipes:
The Detoxinista
Gluten-free Anna
Elana's Pantry
OhSheGlows
Paleo in PDX (this girl is a local to Portland and her name is ALISA! spelled and pronounced the same way!)
What Runs Lori
Rich Roll