Thursday, September 20, 2012

Three Things Thursday


1. I survived my first week of ROWING!  


It is amazing, SO FUN! It is so fun to learn something new.  I’m also learning that it’s not just triathletes that have funny terms in their sport.  Let’s see I’ve learned boat terms like “port” and “starboard” which I kinda new already.  But then other funny words/phrases like “way enough” which means to stop; “catching a crab” which is when your oar hits the water before your stroke, this is not a good thing; “feather” to turn the oar; and in unofficial rowing terms but one our instructors likes to use is “vickies out” meaning chest out with a flat/straight back.  I wasn’t sure what I’d think about rowing but I love it.  Being out on the water is so calming and really relaxing.  Last night our instructor said we rowed about 6000 meters, next week I’m bring my Garmin 910 and clocking it!  I think the hardest part of the whole thing is carrying the damn boat, holy hell those things are heavy!  However, surprisingly, I’m not that sore—minus a bruise from carrying the boat.  After the first class my hamstrings were sore but I think that was a combo of yoga sculpt and rowing…now at the end of week one of rowing I feel nothing but great.  I’m hoping I’ll find a way to get some photos but since there is water involved it’s always risky to take a camera.

2. Remember that list I made a few weeks ago about the things I was looking forward to in the “off” season from tri’s.  One thing I’ve really been enjoying is YOGA!  

I’ve been going to yoga about twice a week and have tried some of the other classes at CorePower.  I have to say I still love the C2 power yoga the best but I’ve now tried Hot Power Fusion a couple of times, I went to a C1 class which I think was great b/c everything was slower and you really worked a lot more on form, I tried a Core Restore which is a yin-style class and decided I still don’t like that kind of yoga too much meditation and not enough sweat for me, I also tried the straight up Hot Yoga which is Bikram but with CorePower flare have to say I wasn’t a huge fan of that one either but I’m glad I tried it, I preferred the Hot Power Fusion which was a lot more of a blend of hot yoga and C2 and I’m still loving the yoga sculpt!  I haven’t ventured into a C3 class yet but I will get there in next couple of months.

3.  It’s beginning to look and feel a lot more like fall.  While I’m really sad that summer is leaving I can’t complain too much.  We had an amazing July and August and September (so far) NO MEASUREABLE rain in like 6 weeks.  THIS.IS.AWESOME!  So far the forecast is predicting 70’s for the next 7 days, can’t complain there.  One thing about fall that I absolutely love is PUMPKINS.  

Pretty sure every time fall rolls about I say something about pumpkins.  I just love them!  I can’t wait for pumpkin turkey chili, pumpkin spice lattes, roasted pumpkin seeds, carving pumpkins, my super tasty pumpkin almond flour protein pancakes and I’m looking forward to trying out pumpkin bread with coconut flour this year. YUM YUM YUM!