Monday, September 10, 2012

Tales from a weekend jet setter


This past weekend I flew down to my beloved San Diego for the weekend.  Mr. Pi was in a wedding of a good friend so we were there for festivities.  I felt like a total jet setter.  I left work on Friday and headed straight to the airport, hoped on Southwest and jetted down to San Diego where I was treated to warm, salty, slightly humid San Diego air.  The weekend was a total whirlwind.

Saturday, Mr. Pi and I got up and headed out for a beach side run through Carlsbad.  Our hotel was across the street from the ocean which was amazing! We set out to run.  I wanted to run between 5-7 miles and Mr. Pi was running 16.  The first thing that hit me was that it was humid.  Sure it was warm too but it was the humidity that hit me.  However, I was running along the beach, my favorite place in the whole world, so I was nice and distracted.


At 3 miles, I decided to turn around.  I had already run 3 times earlier in the week and I’m trying to be smart about my mileage and building up to avoid injury.  I also have come to the realization that if I’m not in heavy training mode that I need to stop when it’s not fun.  What I mean by that is…I don’t love running but I do enjoy it and like doing it…however, a run for me can go from “fun” to “hate” in a matter of miles so I’m trying to keep runs within my happy place!  I am training for a couple of half marathons in November so I do need to increase my weekend mileage but I’m well on my way and doing so happily.



On the way back I stopped at a few drinking fountains, which I was happy to see, but I was shooting for a negative split half.  When I’ve been running on the treadmill, I consciously bump the speed up every half mile, I think this is helping!  As I finished my run, dripping with sweat, I couldn’t have been any happier! I was starring at the beach, the sun was out and I finished another good run for the week.

As I waited for Mr. Pi to finish his LONG run, I prepped him an ice bath at the hotel and then I sat out watching the waves.  The rest of the morning/early afternoon was spent re-fueling over brunch and just hanging out.  Mr. Pi had been gone for about 2 weeks gallivanting around so I was super happy just to spend time with him!

We prepped for the wedding and I realized it had been a long time since I wore a dress, heels and makeup!  I’d say we clean up good!






My dinner date!

The wedding was a super fun event, I saw some people I hadn’t seen in a long time.  Sunday morning came too early and it was time to head home.  Mr. Pi dropped me at the airport and he started the LONG trek back via the 5.  I made it back to Portland, picked up the dog and headed home to unpack.  Poor Mr. Pi was just getting to his mom’s house in NorCal.  Luckily he likes to drive.

And, just like that, I had traveled over 2000 miles in a matter of three days  as a jet setter.  While I didn’t have a lot of time to just relax over the weekend, I could get used to being a jet setter.