Monday, November 7, 2011

New Adventures + Thankfulness

I started my Consciously Thankful tab on the blog but I suspect many of you read blogs through google reader (as do I) so here is my first week of consciously thankful posts.

Nov. 1 - Today I am thankful for technology that allows me to keep in touch with friends both near and far. Yay for phone dates, emails, tweets and facebook.

Nov. 2 - Today I am thankful for friends who live nearby so I am able to have impromptu dinners.

Nov. 3 - Today I am thankful for trying new things.

Nov. 4 - Today I am thankful for my strength.  My muscles are sore today but also showing their strength!

Nov. 5 - Today I am thankful for date nights with my husband.  

Nov. 6 - Today I am thankful for sunshine.  I truly believe I am solar powered and always feel energized and happy when I have sunshine hitting my face.

Nov 7. - Today I am thankful for my job.  While Monday's can be rough I am lucky to have a good job that challenges me and allows me to work with good people.

In other news, I had another good week of workouts, highlighted by a trip to CrossFit which seriously left me sore (like marathon sore) from Thursday night to Sunday.  I decided that now is the time to try a bunch of new things: CrossFit-bring it, Bikram-let’s get sweaty, CorePowerYoga-sure, why not?  It’s before the New Years rush to get fit and I’m not training for any races, it is the perfect time for new adventures.

Overall, I liked it and thought it was a tough workout (obviously from the soreness!).  The workout consisted of a warmup, including two laps around the block, stretches, a little bit of what I’d call “yoga-like” poses (i.e. sun salutation-like moves).  Then, you had about 15 minutes to “do your own thing.”  Since it was my first class the instructor basically went through some moves with me that would be incorporated into the WOD (workout of the day). We did a little rowing, which was super exciting b/c that’s one of those machines at the gym that has intimidated me but now I know how to row, we did some squats, lunges and bar ab thingys.  Next it was time for the WOD.  Basically, the WOD changes every workout and it’s timed.  Your name goes up on this board and you’re ranked by how fast you complete the workout—great for those of us with a competitive edge you can see how fast others have done the workout and try to beat them or beat your time from a previous WOD.  Anyway, our WOD was: 1000M row, 20 squats with a weight bar, 30 bar ab thingys, 400M run (around the block plus a short out and back) and lastly 3 sets of walking overhead lunges (i.e. around the room 3 times with a weight over your head).  I don’t remember my time but I was last in the group but that really didn’t matter.  After you go through some stretches and that’s it.  The whole class about an hour but I could see a scenario where the WOD took longer and the class went over.  No one seemed too concerned about time at the start or the end time but it was about an hour long workout.

I think some of the down sides to the workout for me were the lack of structure.  I guess once you know how to use of the interesting looking equipment like the ropes and rings and stuff it’d be better but when I take a class at the gym I like to be told exactly what to do.  For me the biggest downside is the cost.  The first class was free but I just learned that drop-in classes are like $20 and a one-month membership is like $175---YIKES those are steep prices for a girl on a budget.  I think the cost would deter me from becoming a “crossfitter” as I love trying all kinds of things and already have a gym membership. 

If you get the chance to go to a class definitely try it!  First class is free!

Week in Review:
Monday: Spin! + Halloween always fun to see all the neighborhood trick or treaters
Tuesday: AM Yoga video
Wednesday: Lunch Run
Thursday:  Lunch time walk + PM CrossFit
Friday: OFF felt like the day after a marathon…so sorrrrre!  I did manage to go for an hour walk at lunch to loosen the legs
Saturday: Recovery spin 70 minutes + very short jog on the treadmill (like 15 minutes)
Sunday: Rest (walked the dog and in general tried to be up and moving and did lots of stretches finally getting less sore from CrossFit)

Overall less activity than last week but still decent.