Tuesday, June 28, 2011

SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Summer weekends are the best. It’s light out nice and early which makes me less likely to want to sleep in, the long nights make it so mowing the lawn and BBQ’ing at 8:00pm isn’t a big deal and the weather is warmer, the sun is (sometimes) sun is shining and in general I’m just a happier person.



I tried to post yesterday but I was just too dang busy. But I couldn’t not share some of the awesomeness that was my week last week.


Monday and Tuesday I alternative commuted. Monday, I bused to work and ran home. Tuesday I bused halfway to work and saw Jen and Zach and they gave me a ride the rest of the way and I ran home. It was so crazy to be standing on the street and hear honking, thinking to myself what crazy person is honking at like 6:45 in the morning, only to find out it was Jen and Zach! Crazy small city.


Wednesday was a short and sweet 18 miles on the bike on the local trail. I had really wanted to do hill repeats on this one street near my house but since I haven’t been riding hills I was a little embarrassed that too many bikers would pass me (it’s a super bike friendly street). One of these days I’ll suck it up.


Thursday was Mr. Pi and I’s 4 year anniversary. To read about and see pictures from the wedding and honeymoon go here. I had done my Thursday run on Monday so all I had on the schedule was a swim. I did long sets, like sets of 500. Then, we had an amazing dinner and dessert at a local restaurant which we had money left over from a gift card (thanks Mom).
Mmmmm  Country Cat (great food for breakfast and dinner!)

Friday morning I got up at dawn, actually before, to hit spin class and do my brick run. I had THE BEST brick on Friday morning, like so awesome I wanted to keep running and running and skip work or at least be late to work. Spin was a hard, hilly, super sweat inducing workout where my legs were shaking at the end. I didn’t think there was any way I was going to get in a brick run but I hopped on the treadmill and started off slowly at an 11:06 min mile and gradually sped up to a 10:30. By the time I hit 2 miles I really just wanted to keep going but I knew I needed to get in the shower so I quickly dropped the pace and ran another .3 before deciding I really did need to get in the shower and get ready for work. I kinda wanted to pull an Emily and not shower but I figured my co-workers might like me better if I showered.  Friday night after work Jen and I headed to the local OUTDOOR pool for a quick swim.  All I have to say is swimming outdoors is sooooooo much better than indoor swimming.  I saw my shadow as I flipturned ahhhhhh I love outdoor swimming.

Picture stolen from the internet but isn't this pool awesome, it's in a city park surrounded by trees!  Best news is that it is like 3 blocks from home.


Saturday, Mr. Pi and I took advantage of the beautiful weather and headed off for a hike. We ended up going nearly 9 miles. It wasn’t too “hard” of a hike in terms of elevation gain but 9 miles is still 9 miles. My foot, which is still giving me some issues, was pretty sore after hiking but once I changed into flip flops it felt much better. In true Mr. Pi style we looked up the nearest brewery and headed to eat dinner. It’s always fun to try new beer and breweries tend to have pretty good food as well. All in all, a 12 hour + day that left me exhausted but also totally rewarded.

The hike was a whole family affair, Zoey went too!

Sunday, Mr. Pi and I headed out for our long ride. This was our second week at the 40 mile distance. I had a little bit of a rough ride where I just lost all steam but I got a second wind and ended up feeling great at the end of the ride. I have been really loving the bike lately however, I’m still terrified of our century ride in august. After riding and doing a little clean up around the house, I went for a deep tissue massage. Holy cow was it awesome. (portland peeps take note...Lindentree Massage is amazing!) Part of it kinda hurt as she was working out some knots in my shoulders and working on my IT band however, after was pure bliss. After I came home we did a little bit of yardwork and then BBQ’ed. By 9:00 pm I was exhausted and ready for bed.

Lots of restaurants and businesses around Portland renovate old homes, this is where my massage place was located, it felt so homey and comfortable unlike a stuffy spa

And, here it is Tuesday…this week is super busy but I’m ready to tackle the week as I leave on Saturday for VACATION down in CA!