Thursday, April 21, 2011

Three Things Thursday

I've hopped on the three things thursday train and it seems to be sticking.  Yay Thursday!  I have to say it's one of the best days, I'm still motivated to get work done (unlike Fridays) and I have all the excitment of the weekend to think about.  Top it off with decent weather for the week and a prediction of a 63 degree sunny (0% chance of rain) Friday and I'm stoked for it to be Thursday.

1.  Sunshine!  Yes, it's been sunny in Portland--which means, Alisa has been in a great mood and has been spending as much as possible enjoying the sweet rays of sunny goodness.  Tuesday, I skipped my planned three miler in favor of spending time in the backyard with Mr. Pi, Zoey and Vaughn (Sarah's dog who we have on loan for the week).  It was a glorious evening of pulling some weeds, planting some veggies and sitting in my new adirondack chair soaking up some rays.


Mr. Pi planting beets

My new chairs!  Thanks Dad, what a great present.

Vaughn living it up.

Zoey, my sunshine doggie!

2. I've been trying a new thing with my training plan.  I set a number of miles I want to run for the week and run them the days I feel like running them.  So far, this system is working out well for me.  I'm going to need to start adding a swimming and biking component to this too but for now I've really been digging the "Alisa you need to run XX miles this week, go get em" attitude.

3. Racing fever.  So many people are posting race reports.  I'm really getting excited about my first half marathon of spring (I'd say of 2011 but I already did one at Goofy).  I'm also getting realistic about my expectations.  I don't think I'm going to try to PR, I think I'm going to save that for a later date.  I'm just not running the paces I would need to for a PR.  This doesn't mean I'm going to take it completely easy.  It just means I'm not going to go into a race setting myself up for a PR disappointment.  After reading so many race reports lately I have really come to notice something.  I LOVE reading the race reports where the writer is happy, even if they didn't hit their planned pace/goal.  It made me think about the days of just running races to run races---I don't think I've ever had as much fun as I did those first few 5k's I did with my Dad where we had no expectations, I didn't own a Garmin, I wore cotton t-shirts and basketball shorts (the only experience that's come close is Goofy!). Anyway, what I'm saying is sure I want to do well and I'd love to kick my half marathon time in the ass this year but it's not going to happen next month so I'm not going to pressure myself.

Happy almost Friday!