Thursday, October 7, 2010

Test Lab Thursday: PUMPKIN

Fall is definitely here in the NW, the nights and mornings are awfully chilly and the cloud cover has settled (which means, I have to work hard to fight the urge to sit on the couch with hot chocolate every night).  While most everyone that reads this blog knows that I'm a summer gal all the way---bring on the sunshine and 80 degree days---there is one thing in particular that I LOVE about fall--PUMPKINS!  I love pumpkins, always have.  I've done a post about my love for pumpkin before but I didn't include recipes in that one.


For the test lab this week, I thought I'd share a few pumpkin recipes.


Pumpkin Stuff French Toast
This one I stole from the Kitchn Blog which had recently posted it from Bon Appetite.  Oh man, this was delicious!  If I made this again, I think I would only make one stuff sandwich instead of two.  Neither Mr. Pi or I could finish both stuff pieces---too much yummy goodness.  His comment was that the bread was a little dry so I think I needed one more egg and maybe some more milk in the batter.  I made mine with banana also in the "stuffing" it was delicious and didn't take away from the pumpkin at all.  It was almost like pumpkin pie stuffed in between two pieces of french toast.  I highly recommend making this recipe for a yummy fall breakfast.  I didn't make the potatoes that are shown in the photo but they look good too---however, I'm not sure I would have had room in my tummy.


Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
I made this one up on the fly (though I'm sure I'm not the only person to think of it).  We had some leftover pureed pumpkin from the french toast that I wanted to use up.  I love oatmeal at work in the mornings.  I tend to make up a batch or double batch and then portion them out for work mornings.  To my regular cooked quaker oats I added the following:
1)  Bunch of cinnamon
2)  Dash of allspice
3) 1/4 cup of pumpkin puree
4) 2 tbsp brown sugar
5) Dash of vanilla extract


It was quite the tasty treat yesterday morning at work.  The only thing I don't like about my new concoction is that it doesn't look very appetizing, wonder what I can do about that?!  I also thought it could have used a bit of crunch.  Next time, I'd consider adding a bit of Kashi cereal or something on top for a crunch.


A few other pumpkin favorites:


A go-to favorite of mine that I haven't yet made this fall is pumpkin turkey chili.  


A Thanksgiving hit with pumpkin other than the pie! Vegetarian stuffing in a pumpkin---it's delicious and pretty.  I actually don't even like stuffing but this one is delicious!


Last year, Mr. Pi found this recipe for a DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte that gives Starbucks a run for its money.


And how could I not list, Pumpkin Bread!  This recipe is one of my favorites for pumpkin bread because it's moist.  Last year, I experimented with the recipe a bit.  Instead of 1 cup of oil, I did 3/4 cup of plain yogurt (mine was 1%) and 1/4 cup oil.  I bet it'd taste great with an applesauce switch too, then, it'd be two fall flavors in one!


There you have it a few fall Pumpkin recipes.  Yum!