Friday, October 22, 2010

The Hype

Now that I’m back in training, I’m trying to resist the race “hype” factor.  I don’t know about you but I often find myself scrolling through race reports and making lists of races/events I want to do.  Most of the time this isn’t a bad thing; I’m a goals oriented person and I like to have things are the horizon.  However, sometimes I get wrapped up in the “hype” and don’t really think about what I’m getting myself into.  Right after I finished Barb’s Race, I made a list of all the things I wanted to do in 2011.  Some of the items on there were for “redemption” and some were new challenges. Then, I fell off the wagon and got pre-occupied by being a new home owner and essentially didn’t think about racing or training until mid-September.  BUT the minute I sat down and created my training plan for Goofy and especially after running the Nike Women's Half last weekend, I started thinking about the rest of the year.

I went back to the list I’d made and started looking at the notes I’d written down and the new races I’ve discovered since I made that initial list and before I knew it, I had a list of  50+ races/events.  Now comes the fun part, narrowing the list and figuring out what fits where.  In times past, I would have created a spreadsheet and listed all the “must do’s” and when their entry fees increased and just started plotting my way through the months getting wrapped up in the hype of racing and the adrenalin rush of just registering for races.   This time around, I’m going to try a different approach---hopefully a less selfish and more fun one.  Of course, I still have a list of “must do’s” but instead I’m going to call them “would love to do’s—sometime, when the timing is right.”

My plan…create my list of things I’d really like to do in 2011 and sit down over some beers or wine or dessert or something equally as yummy as all of those and talk this through with Mr. Pi.  Last year, we both had major races we were training for, him the 50k and me the 70.3.  This left little time for us to do much else on the weekends other than train.  I really want to prioritize a few weekend getaways and time for us, as well as training.  This time around, regardless of what’s on the schedule for the spring, summer and fall of 2011, I’d like to try to have a bit more balance.  While I certainly want to take my training seriously, I think what sometimes happens is, I take myself too seriously.  I lose sight of what I really am—I am a motivated athlete—what I am not is a professional athlete.  I’m never going to be winning races so there is really no need to take myself so seriously.  Yes, to do a 70.3 or marathon or century ride or any of those big goals it takes training and dedication---BUT I think you can train and be dedicated and still have time for other things.  Sure there will be some weekends when the “other things” will have to take a back seat but I think you can plan weekends accordingly.  Maybe I’m being naive.

In my ideal world, many of the things on my “would love to do” list would also be things that Mr. Pi would love to do and we’d be training together for some things.  But since I know Mr. Pi isn’t going to want to do a 5k swim, at least one of things on my list is something I’m going to be solo (or at least I don’t think he’s going to want to do a 5k swim--honey, you up for it?).  

How do you balance other things in your life with training?  What in your life takes a back seat?  What absolutely DOESN'T take a back seat?

So, Mr. Pi, in my attempt to be less selfish and a better wife, let’s put a date on the calendar to go through our race wish lists and you can tell me how crazy I am.  Sound good?

11 comments:

  1. i've been reading your blog for a while now. looking forward to seeing your new list of races!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Balance is tough. I'm working on 2011 ideas also. Trying to be sure I do the things I really want to do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2011 is going to be awesome! I can't wait to see your list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I sit down and do the same thing. We try to plan it out so that we aren't doing big training every weekend, but it's hard when we're both racing.
    One thing we will not sacrifice is camping trips with our boys though. Every summer we go on 2-3 camping trips over the weekends and training weekends take a back seat. :)
    Good luck working it all out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm starting to see 2011 shape up too. Can't wait to see what makes your list! 5k swims are tough but not impossible. Go for it and get it done!

    I am also a huge believer in the balance theory. Keeping work, family, training, and pleasure in more equal proportions is tough. My overtime got sacrificed, and I enjoy my work. most of my paychecks get sacrificed too. ha! but it's always fun and worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Been reading your blog several times, and indeed it's very impressive..I am also making a list of the things to do and the things I bought for my running gear, just like my list of arcteryx.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband was reading this with me and now wants to know why we don't go through my goals with him. Thanks! ;)

    Actually my running/biking partner and friend do our list every New years day. Of course, with wine or beer.

    I hope you have a great 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great plan! Fitting in training becomes increasingly harder the more people I add to my life...first my hubby and then my daughter! Balance is tough and my family CAN"T take a back seat! I have done a lot of running with my daughter. However I am needing more motivation lately! Maybe I should start on my 2011 plan too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. To me, balance is the 4th discipline in triathlon... and for me the hardest. Unfortunately my friends get the back burner (usually because I'm exhausted when they want to go out), but I'm working on that. I have to prioritize things and revisit the list over and over.

    ReplyDelete