Thursday, July 1, 2010

Hello from "vacationland"

Greetings from the eastern seaboard!  Mr. Pi and I have been on vacation for a week now and let's just say nothing beats vacation.  We started with a quick couple of days in Boston visiting old friends and old favorite places. (We lived in Boston for 2 years while I was in grad school.)
 One of my favorite places in Boston--the Charles River Pathway.  Wish I could have been running.
5th time on the Sam Adams brewery tour but still just as much fun and left just as HAPPY as the other 4 times.
On our way out of town, we stopped at our favorite donut place--it is the best.  Clearly, healthy eating was not in my plan.

After spending a couple of days playing tourist in Boston, we headed north to Maine (their state motto is "vacationland" hence the post title) to meet up with the rest of Mr. Pi's family, all 22 of them.  Along the way we picked up a rental bike for me since 4 weeks after the crash my leg is still very swollen and painful (BOO).  Finding a house for all of us is no easy task, we ended up here:

It's an amazingly HUGE house--however, even with 7 bathrooms, I've still had to wait a couple of times--crazy.

Mr. Pi and I have gotten out a few times for running (Mr. Pi) and biking (me).  The only places I'd been in Maine were all on the coast so I was expecting flat riding however, we're in the mountain-y area.  The hills haven't been too bad but definitely noticeable.  I've been swimming in the pool, which is sauna warm and plan on busting out my wetsuit (yes, I packed it) today for an aqua bike (and maybe an attempt at 5 min transition run). 
Somewhere in the backwoods of Maine.
 Mr. Pi running.

Weather has been hit or miss but that's par for the course on the east coast in the mountains.  Hot and humid one day and cold and rainy the next.  Speaking of par, I tried my hand at golfing a few days ago.  Six and a half hours later we finished 14 holes (yes, we skipped the 4 hardest ones).  The course was gorgeous, my form and hits were not.  Apparently, we golfed the second hardest course in New England and almost had a course record for the longest game.  It was tons of fun and actually way harder than I thought it would be.
Mr. Pi golfing.

We're having a blast hanging out with family and relaxing.  I'm trying not to stress out about Barb's race, it is what it is...I can't make my alien water balloon go away so I might as well do what I can and not worry about it.  Barb's is probably not going to be the exact race I wanted it to be but I'm pretty sure that I can still finish on my feet.  Time away from running has really made me realize how much I do enjoy it and time on the bike has made me realize how much fun biking can be.  I think the whole experience of tri training and even getting injured has made me think a lot about how I spend my time and the things in life that are most important.  The next few weeks are going to be a busy time in my life.  Since I last posted, there have been some updates on that house I thought we lost.  Turns out it's likely we will be moving in July 23rd (also known as my birthday, also known as the weekend before Barb's)!  In addition to the house, I have a couple of big projects going on at work and of course, lots of training to get in.  I'm going to do my best to enjoy all of these experiences and focus on all the positives without worrying about any negatives.

I'll leave you with those thoughts...while I go prepare myself for a cold pond swim and hilly ride.