Monday, June 21, 2010

Lots of Stuff








I haven’t posted in awhile. I think I’m just going to do bullet points.

Training:

-Leg is still very swollen and painful. Bruising is much better but it’s still painful to run.

-I haven’t run in over 2 weeks. I MISS running and am worried about how much longer I’m going to be out of commission. I know that running is my weak point for the tri, I can go the distance but with my lack in running training it’s going to painfully slow.

-I did the longest bike ride I’ve ever done on Saturday with the most elevation gain I’ve done. 63 miles with total climb of 3500 ft. After the first 18 miles I didn’t think I would make it but I did and it was awesome. I couldn’t have done it without Jen. Jen, thank you sooooo much for everything, you have been such an awesome supporter and training partner. Thanks for putting up with me.

-I rode the most miles in one week than I ever had last week, despite it being 20 miles less than I had originally planned. Total for last week: 93 miles. Jen and Zach both went for a nice 30 miler with me on Thursday evening. Thanks to you both!

-I’ve done more pulling in the pool than I ever thought was possible since it hurts to kick.

-Swimming in my wetsuit doesn’t hurt so I’m hopeful I’ll get in some good swims while on vacation.

-I’ve been less than excited to train lately because I feel like everything is less than it was two weeks ago. I can’t go as hard and I’m frustrated. I am 6 weeks out from the race and I don’t think it’s going to be the race that I wanted it to be. I am pretty sure I’ll be able to finish but I have given up all of my time goals and am just trying to train to finish.

Last two weeks totals:

June 7th - June13th: 6000 yards swimming (mostly pulling); 47.50 miles biking; 20 minutes arms/abs

June 14th – June 20th: 4000 yards swimming (1800 OWS); 93 miles biking

Life:

-Mr. Pi and I have been house hunting. We found a house that we both really liked, made an offer and it was rejected—not even countered—just rejected. We have struggled with the idea of submitting a new offer but it’s already on the high end of our budget and we certainly don’t want to be those people living from pay check to pay check. We’ve seen 41 houses and this is the first that we have both liked. I’m beyond disappointed but am trying to look at the negatives with the house and be positive about finding something else out there.


-I’ve been working long hours on a couple of big projects. Feeling good about the work I’ve been doing but also feeling like I may not be as valued as I should be.


-I’ve been reading a lot of books about eating and the environment, etc. I ate vegan for almost a whole week (with that massive ride in the mix of the week, I had to cheat a couple of times). I don’t think I could go completely vegan (I missed cheese A LOT) but I think I’m going to make an effort to eat less meat. Amy and I did this challenge together and we found a couple of meatless recipes that were delicious and not that hard to make—definite win!

-I’ve been trying to regularly track my food intake and have set up a system with a friend to exchange food journals; it’s been a good experiment and having someone to be accountable to is nice. I’m working on eating less sodium and balancing fresh veggies, etc with carbs. I tend to go a little overboard sometimes with bread.


-The weather has sucked, even for Portland. I’m ready for summer already.


-I leave for vacation on Wednesday evening. I am totally excited to get away from everyday life for a few days. I’m nervous about training but am taking the wetsuit and will do what I can. I am planning to rent a bike while I’m there to get in a few miles and hopefully by then maybe be able to run a few too. If I can’t run I’ll be doing a lot of walking and maybe some hiking. If the worst happens and I have to walk the half marathon in the race, I want to be walk-trained!

-Mr. Pi and I celebrate three years of being married on Wednesday—everyday I think about how lucky I am to have found him.

So there you have it, the last two weeks in a nutshell have been a roller coaster some awesome stuff and some not so awesome.

Here are some pictures of the awesomeness that was the ride on Saturday with Jen.


At the first rest stop.


Climb to the first rest stop.
View from the first rest stop.
Along the road somewhere.
Silver Falls State Park--pretty!
Bikes are resting too.

Poppy field.

3rd rest stop...51 miles in.
Neat covered bridge shortly after passing mile 56...when I thought...who's ready for a half marathon, um...not me!

Well deserved seat on the grass--we finished!

We are DONE!