Monday, February 1, 2010

Contemplation

Last week didn't get any less stressful. I don’t normally talk about my work on the blog, other than it being stressful at times. I’m kinda reaching a point where I need to decide what I want to do with my future career. Do I want to climb the career latter like I always thought I would or do I just settle for what I have (a decent job that I mostly enjoy but one that I’m overqualified for and underpaid for my degree)? I always thought I would be a career latter person. In fact, for a long time, I didn’t want to get married because I wanted the flexibility to work long hours and do lots of international travel. My international career didn’t happen. I did get married AND I love being married and couldn’t imagine my life without Mr. Pi and, I most certainly DO NOT want to work longer hours. So, do I want to climb the latter or not? I’m still up in the air about it. I’ve made little sticky notes with various careers that have always interested me, some I’m qualified for and others would require going back to school. I know a few other friends going through similar career/life contemplations. Does it ever get easier?!?! Alright, enough career talk.

I took a step back week, last week with two rest days (plus my standard Monday rest), I think it’s what I needed. I’ve also adjusted my race schedule since I made my training plan. My first event of 2010 is going to be a 5k instead of a half marathon. I’ll be doing the Shamrock 5k (March 14) and hoping to chase down my 2002 (or 2003) 5k PR. I haven’t actually run a non-tri related 5k since 2007 and that wasn’t a PR.

I also decided that a sprint tri with a pool swim just isn’t worth it. Instead I’ll be doing a duathlon, a cycling event and only one tri prior to Barb’s race (an oly). Since Barb’s is sort of early in the season, it’s hard to find practice events. There is one other tri I could probably squeeze in but I’m not sure it’s worth it. I think if I stick with my schedule I know I’ll be prepared enough without adding another race.

Despite my rough week and a few days rest I still got in decent weekend workouts.

Saturday I rode the trainer for an hour. Mr. Pi hooked up his Garmin cadence sensor to give me an estimate of my pace/miles. I’m not sure how accurate it was but I ended with 1:00/13 miles. I was pushing but felt pretty good like I could have kept riding. I think it helped that I was watching TV.

I also did a long swim. I’m working through workouts in the Triathletes Swim book. I did an endurance speed set on Saturday, lots of T-pace swimming. I did extend most of the RI’s (rest intervals) but not by much. Swim Stats: 2400/55:45

On Sunday I got in my long run. It wasn’t as fast as I wanted but it was under 12 min/miles which is really all I care about with long runs for the time being. We went to a new place and it was awesome. The route started at the end of PDX aiport, which was kinda cool to see the planes landing. There is a paved path along the Columbia River levy parallel to the aiport. It was flat and scenic. It was foggy when we started and the sun peaked out toward the end of the run! I didn’t run with anyone so I had my tunes blasting, which I haven’t done in a long time. My foot didn’t give me any problems either. My legs on the other hand, felt like led and my stomach wasn’t feeling perfect. I always find it interesting that some days 10:30 feels effortless and other days 11:15 feels super hard. It was one of the latter days. I ended up with 10 miles/1:55/11:31 avg.

Here are some photos: