Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Swimming, Biking, Running

I thought I’d review some of my favorite resources for swimming, biking and running. (Q & A post is coming soon...still time to ask more questions.)

Swimming:
I got Swim Workouts for Triathletes for Christmas. It is such a great swimming resource. I really dislike coming up with workouts and printing them out, etc. I’m trying to save some moo-lah and not join masters until the spring. This book is a great way for me to stay motivated. I gotta say the workouts are tough. I don’t think there are any under 2400 yards, I’ve modified a few when I was crunched for time but I find the full workouts so satisfying. The book is waterproof too so you can leave it pool side and look back at it as needed. I’ve had several people at the pool ask me about it. I highly recommend it to anyone not in a masters program that wants a good swim workout resource.

Also, I can't say enough good things about www.swimoutlet.com! If you need a suit, cap, goggles, etc this is your place to shop. They have women's competition suits for $19.95! When I played waterpolo in HS and college I paid upwards of $50-$60 for my suits. Where was swimoutlet then?!?! It has a limited selection of Tri clothes too.

Biking:
I really love our CycleOps Fluid trainer. Unfortunately, this isn’t the best time of year to be riding outside, at least not in the PacNW. The trainer has been a great way for me to get in bike workouts without riding in the rain or dealing with the crowds of new years resolutioners in spin class. We have ours set up in front of the TV so I can put in a DVD while riding. It’s pretty quiet so hopefully it doesn’t bug our grumpy neighbor too much.

I honestly don't have that many biking items yet. Anyone wanna send me some new tri or bike shorts or a bike jersey? JK!

Running:
My GoLite DriMove top is amazing.

I don’t have a lot of short sleeve wicking tops. When GoLite sent me this top I was jazzed about it. I loved the colors (mine is the inverse of what is shown above, mostly teal with some gray) and the feel of the material. I’ve worn this top running, to weights class, spin class and running! It’s lightweight and super quick drying. It’s long!!! Being long, is key for a tall girl like me. It’s snug but not super tight. I love it, absolutely worth $45.00, if you’re looking for a new short sleeve wicking shirt. Pretty sure it'll be the shirt I wear for my next race (my next race that I can wear short sleeves, that is). Thanks GoLite!

My Nike Running Jacket. I’m not sure exactly what it’s called but it’s amazing. Since I live where it rains (A LOT) having a waterproof jacket is crucial. This jacket keeps me dry. The fit is snug so I don’t feel like I’m wearing a tent or garbage bag. It’s pink, which is great for me—it also comes in many other colors. There are nice pockets, including a big one in the back. The sleeves zip off (though I’ve never zipped them off) but I am thinking come springtime I may want to.

Other resources that rock---my awesome hubby who gives me pointers/suggestions on my training plans, all my wonderful PDX running/tri buddies and all of you bloggers near and far. Honestly, blogging really got me into training for races instead of just working out to work out. Thanks!