Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Reflecting & Planning

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about Saturday’s tri. Triathlons make me feel so strong and capable. Running races mostly make me tired and feel slow. I’m no expert triathlete by any means but I think I’m happier at the end of tri’s (all two of them) than I ever have been at the end of a running race (even PR races). I’m really excited about next season and training in the off season. (Speaking of, what do you triathletes do in the off season? How do you keep up your training?) I know I have a lot of room to improve (especially on the bike). I think getting a new bike is going to have to wait a few weeks/months, need to build up that savings account a little first.

In the meantime, I’m going to focus on continuing to improve my running (which has been improving). My long runs are faster than they were during either of my three marathon training cycles. I’ve been working on finding a pace that feels comfortable and conversational. I’ve also been inspired by Kristen and her speed increases over the past few months. I’m contemplating signing up for another half marathon this fall, I already have one on the calendar, Nike. I’m using Nike as an excuse to visit CA and enjoy the company of friends, I’m not intending to PR there.

This week has started well, though I feel a little bit of sickness coming on. Monday night I had a great swim. I didn’t really want to go but I called Mr. Pi for a pep talk and ended up having a great workout. Starting with an EMPTY pool---hooray! By the end of my workout it was filling up but not overly crowded. I kept with my goal of adding intervals!

300 swim/200 kick – warm up
Main set:
3 x 200 IM w/:30 RI (increasing speed each 200, though I’m pretty sure my fly got slower each time)
200 kick – (2 x fly, free, breast, free)
3 x 100 interval w/:20 RI (25 fast, 25 recovery, 25 fast, 25 recovery/50 fast, 50 recovery/75 fast, 25 recovery)
100 kick – (free all out)
500 –cool down
Total: 2200 yards/50:23


Tuesday night, I was going to do a Kristen inspired track workout but my running buddy wanted to run hills so we ran Terwilliger. This is always a challenging workout however; I’ve certainly noticed an improvement in my hill running. I used to always run this route at 11:30 – 12:00, the last three weeks I’ve run it it’s been under 11:00 min/mile. Last night 4.25mi/44:55.

It's Wednesday and we all know what that means...Spin with Jen, a brick run and hopefully a swim (i.e. hopefully trifecta success).

Anyone else feel like this week is dragging?