Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Taper Time

I survived my last 20 without totally wanting to die—goal a, accomplished. I really just ran this 20 on feel, I didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to my pace, I just went with it. It was a gorgeous, not a cloud in the sky, warm day so I was happy as a clam! (Someone at work today even said I looked TAN! Too bad the rain is back.) I kept my strategy of drinking every couple of miles and taking a Gu every 5 miles (Expresso Love at mile 5, Vanilla Bean at mile 10 and Double Latte at mile 15.5). I did run out of water but some nice lady out washing her car, gave me a refill. I ended the run in 4:05:XX which is 12:15 pace, not my best but not my worst either.

It’s taper time now. I apologize for my whiny post last week, I needed to get that stuff off my chest. I know I listened to my body this time around. I know the reason I didn’t want to run 5 days a week—last time I got overuse injuries. I followed my plan pretty well and I didn’t miss any long runs (not something I could have said before). I have an amazing online community! Special thanks to Maritza who sends the funniest ghettoized motivational messages! Thanks chica, it did really help!

Yesterday, I got my Tri book in the mail. I’m a little overwhelmed by it but plan to have an action strategy sometime this month. I haven’t officially registered for a Tri but I have a few on my radar screen. At this point, it’s really less about doing an actual triathlon and more about being excited to incorporate other activities into my routine. Mr. Pi’s cousin is a superb athlete and has competed in many Tri’s around the world. He recently sent Mr. Pi an email about doing an Ironman next spring. While I think this is a little more than I want to undertake I’m really hoping Mr. Pi does it since I think it would push me even though I wouldn't be competing.

I've been a horrible blog reader lately. My google reader is slammed! I'm hoping to get caught up this week. Wish I could say the same about the never ending laundry pile!