Friday, May 1, 2009

Recipe of the Week + Update

Clearly, recipe Wednesday is turning into, recipe Wednesday, Thursday or Friday...it is officially being renamed "Recipe of the Week."
First, training updates. Tuesday, Gazelle was feeling ill and it was raining so I took Track Tuesday to the treadmill.

1 mile @ 10:42
4 x 800 w/ .3 mi recovery jog/walks
#1 @ 8:10 pace
#2 @ 8:27 pace
#3 @ 8:10 pace
#4 @ 8:10 pace
4 x 400 w/.25 mi recovery incline walks (incline 7% @ 15:00 mm)
#1 - #4 @ 7:54 pace
1/2 mile cooldown @ 10:42
Total: 6.5 miles

Wednesday JM came over with her super cute doggie Vaughn (nothing like two happy beagles to brighten your day). We set out to do Shred and Yoga but after Shred, Mr. Pi announced that dinner was ready so we bailed on yoga. Kinda wish I hadn't, I've been a little stiff all week.

Thursday was supposed to be 8-10 miles (my schedule called for 6 with 4 miles @ tempo pace). What I actually did was 7.5 miles/1:21:09/10:49 AP. The last 1.5 I took Zoey with me and tried to speed up a tad, we averaged 10:20 on the last 1.5. I'm still trying to find a comfortable pace that's sustainable for long distances. Naturally, I gravitate toward a 10:15-10:30 mile but after a few miles I slow down.
April PR mileage month: 131.77!!!
Today, I'm planning on a yoga session and a walk with the puppy. Tomorrow, I have 15-17 on the schedule, I'd like to get in at least 16. I'm meeting Gazelle and Erika for the first 10, it's Gazelle's last long run before she's going to kick ass at her 1/2 on May 10th.

Speaking of races, Gazelle and I will be spectating the Eugene Marathon this weekend. Several other PDX'ers are running the 1/2 and this girl is going to BQ! We'll be stocked with signs, bodyglide (since it's predicting rain), cowbells, cameras and maybe even a boombox (Roho-style if I can find one). Good luck to all the racers this weekend! Shout out to other marathoners Cindy and Kristin!

Recipe of the Week: Peanut Rice Noodles with Tofu

For all my veg-heads (or Meatless Monday chicas) out there, this one is for you! I've made several variations of this recipe. I've used angel hair pasta, spaghetti, protein pasta, whole wheat; I've made it with chicken, shrimp, tofu or all veggie. This time I went with tofu and rice noodles. I've never cooked with rice noodles before but it sounded like an adventure. In true, Alisa fashion, I added ingredients here and there, omitted others...I tried to keep track and adjust the recipe posted below.


The recipe is loosely based on the following, my changes/additions are in parentheses:

1 tsp canola oil (I use 1 tsp canola oil and 1 tsp fire oil)
2 tsp minced fresh ginger (I used about 1/2 inch)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
4 tsp rice vinegar (I omitted this last night, instead tried 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce for extra tangy flavor)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (I used about 2 tbsp)
1/3 cup natural-style smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup lower-sodium nonfat chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt (I omitted last night)
8 oz spaghetti (Used rice noodles)
12 oz medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (Used tofu)
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and julienned (3 small yellow bell peppers and 1/2 a red bell pepper)
1 cup snow peas (omitted)
1 carrot, peeled and julienned (14 baby carrots)
Added: 1 onion, couple of scallions and juice from one lime to the sauce (plus dash of oregano, basil and powdered ginger).


PREPARATION
Heat oil (1 tsp) over medium-high heat in a saucepan. Add ginger and garlic; cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add soy sauce, vinegar, chili sauce, peanut butter, broth, and salt; cook, stirring, until peanut butter dissolves. Simmer over low heat 7 minutes until thick and smooth.

Heat oil (1 tsp) in a wok or saute pan. Add tofu and brown. Add onion cook 1-2 minutes, add carrots and bell peppers cook another 2-3 minutes.

In a large pot, boil water add rice noodle for 2-5 minutes, drain and rinse.
Add all ingredients back into large pot and use tongs to mix thoroughly.

Original recipe, found here, makes 4 servings: 491 calories per serving, 15 g fat (2 g saturated), 57 g carbs, 32 g protein