Monday, April 27, 2009

So Much To Say

I had a super busy weekend. I love to travel and be busy but I’m ready for a boring sit-on-my-butt after running weekend.

After 2 days off from running, lots of yoga and butt massaging, I ran 20 miles on Friday morning! My butt pain was pretty much gone but my left calf was tight the whole time and I had to stop a couple of times to stretch it out. Friday morning was perfect weather. It was sunny, little breeze, probably 50 something when I started (i.e. longs sleeve weather for me) and maybe 60 something at the end (long sleeves stayed on until about mile 8). I tried a new fueling strategy. Every 2.5 miles I walked and drank water/Gatorade. Every 5 miles I took a Gu (mile 5 – Double Expresso; mile 10 – Plain; mile 15 – Vanilla Bean). Essentially, I was taking fuel/walk breaks every 2.5 miles. This seemed to work out great. My plan for the run was to keep the pace at 11:30 or under, I’m still not certain of my race-pace. I ended up with 20 miles/3:55:09/11:45 AP. I didn’t pause my watch at all during the run for fear I would forget to start it again so with my stretch breaks and stoplights I was probably close to 11:30. What I really wanted out of this run was to finish the 20 under 4 hours. I know what the last 6.2 of a marathon feel like for me so ideally on race day I’d like to hit 20 miles in 3:50 or under, which is an 11:30 pace. (Some of you will already be done with your race by then…Mr. Pi, based on his last finish time, would have been done for 22 minutes. Being slow has the perks of lots of cheerleaders at the end!) All in all, I was happy with my first 20 miler, I’m glad I went for it.

The rest of Friday was spent in the car (ouch, I forgot that long runs + long car rides are kinda painful). Saturday was busy! Mr. Pi ran his long run in the morning (I was happy to take the day off) and I took the doggie for a long walk. Later we met up with family and helped set up decorations for my cousins wedding. Saturday night was the wedding! Thanks to her I looked fabulous (thanks for lending me a fantastic dress). Sadly, I don’t have any pictures. Other than my tan lines I looked pretty dang good.

Sunday was the long drive back. I really wanted to get in a run in the morning but I was wayyyyy too tired. I ended the week with only 31.7 miles, I’m hoping to get closer to 40 this week and peak in two weeks at 40-45. Operation sleep is in effect for this week too, though I have to say other than Friday and Saturday night I was in bed before 9:30 every night last week. I think Monday and Tuesday I was in bed before 9…it was glorious! I’m not a night person, never have been…in college I was the girl that went to bed at 8:00 and got up at 4:00 am to study (about the time everyone was going to sleep).

Here’s to another good week of training...lots of stretching, icing and massaging! Also, I really need to get back in the pool!

P.S. My google reader is out of control at the moment, sorry if I'm a bad commenter this week!