Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Recipe Wednesday: 2nd addition

First, update on Track Tuesday! Gazelle and I did our second Track Tuesday last night. Our goal was 1 mile warmup/cooldown and 5 x 800 with 4:20 recovery. My goal for the 800's was 4:15 - 4:20. I won't lie, yesterday was hard, in fact I had to stop after 800 #3 to stretch out my right leg. Piriformis was back with a vengeance making my right leg feel like lead! However, that being said, my splits were pretty decent!

#1 - 4:17
#2 - 4:20
#3 - 4:25
#4 - 4:20
#5 - 4:20

I ran the first recovery a little too fast and had to run/walk recoveries 2 and 3. Recovery 4 and 5 I ran all but 15 seconds.

Geoff reported 6.27 miles/1:07:30/10:48 AP (Gazelle and I ran the first mile warmup together, her Lionel said 10:46, my Geoff said 11:03...weird Garmins! P.S. Gazelle was SPEEDY yesterday. She did fantastic! I love her positive attitude and having her as a running buddy...track tuesday's wouldn't exist without her!)

Okay...long awaited recipe Wednesday #2...

Growing up, one of my favorite restaurants was The Kabob House, a Greek restaurant near my house. (If you ever find yourself in the Sacramento area, seek this place out!) Over the years, the owners have watched me celebrate birthdays, graduate high school, college, grad school and get married. They even gave Mr. Pi and I huge jug of their special sauce (see below). I've been there so many times I don't even bother with looking at the menu...I've tried lots of entrees but have 2 favorites.


As a kid, my Dad, grandmother and I would go out to eat every Friday. It was our tradition. We had many ethnic favorites but Greek (and Mexican) were my favorites. One of my favorite things about Greek cuisine is HUMMUS! I love it! A few years back I learned how to make it...it is one of the easiest dips to make and is almost always a crowd pleaser. I won't claim my recipe is as good as the Kabob House but it's pretty darn good, definitely better than any store bought brands I've tried.
Loosely based on a recipe found in the Cook's Illustrated recipe book.

Makes: Couple of cups-ish

1. 1 15 oz can Chick Peas, drained (I like the low sodium kind)
2. 1/4 cup water (sometimes an extra tablespoon or two is needed)
3. 1/4 cup olive oil
4. 1/4 cup tahini (can be found at any grocery store)
5. Juice and Zest from one lemon
6. 1-3 cloves garlic (depends on your garlic preference, see review below)
7. Couple of dashes cayenne powder

In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients. Blend until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.

Serve with a sprinkle of cayenne powder (or paprika if you're not looking for extra spice) for color and a drizzle of olive oil (if desired). Can be served cold, at room temperature or slightly warmed.
Review: 4.5 stars (not 5 since I know better hummus exists at the Kabob House)
This is not for the vampire in your family, the garlic is pretty potent. In fact, if you're not a garlic lover I might try one clove and adjust from there. I personally love garlic and go for 3 cloves but as Mr. Pi can atest, I'm pretty stinky afterwards! Do NOT substitute peanut butter for tahini. Find the tahini, you won't be sorry! Blend longer than you think you need to, the smoother the better! Keeps for a whole week and gets better after a few days, as Mr. Pi says, the flavors deepen and meld.

I usually eat it with pita bread/pita chips/small toast pieces but hummus is a great spread on sandwiches (especially if you're like me and LOATHE mayo) or as a dipper for veggies.

Alisa's Hummus

Member that HUGE jug of sauce I mentioned...here it is...Eli's Steak Sauce