Friday, January 23, 2009

Movie Review

A few weeks ago, LA Runner asked me if I would review “Running for my Father,” a movie about Cody Westheimer who chose to cope with the loss of his father by training for a marathon. Cody’s story is inspirational and heartwarming. Without giving too much away, Cody was faced with a setback in training. As someone who has battled their fair share of injuries and training setbacks it was moving to see Cody be so determined to finish the marathon no matter what it took. He was going to run the race for his Dad. My favorite part of the movie was definitely, the shots of the Cody smiling and running along during the Houston Marathon! I was smiling along with him. As a marathoner, I certainly related to his trials in the latter miles. Like a true runner, he gutted through them and finished with a smile and his arms in the air.

I think runners and non-runners alike can relate to the need of finding something to cope with a great loss. Between the months of February and April 2008 I lost both of grandmothers. While they had both lived wonderful long, lives and their passing wasn’t unexpected it still rocked me. It was also during this time that I was training for the San Diego rock n roll marathon. I’ve never said it but at the start of the SD marathon I definitely thought about my grandmothers. In the “trying miles” (i.e. miles 18-24) I thought of them again and all the things they had done for me. Reminiscing about the memories I shared with them helped me get through those miles. Watching this movie certainly brought back memories of my grandmothers and of my first marathon. It is a great story told by an honest, funny, determined guy.

By the way, Cody just completed the 2009 Houston Marathon and with the help of LA Runner pacing him, he completed the race under his goal time of 4:30! (Read the race report!) Since that’s my ultimate time goal too, I was especially excited to know that it’s possible to get there after only a couple of years from your first marathon.



Here’s to you Eric Westheimer!

7 comments:

  1. Do you like Dr Pepper too? I only drink them out of a bottle!!!

    I will let you know when the new show airs...it should be called GLEE-about a Glee club -and will be very funny! It's from the creator of Nip Tuck, so it will be quirky!!

    I understand losing a grandparent! I lost my 100 year old grandmother on the 30th November. And even though she had lived an amazing life, you are still never ready!! My grandmother lived in Scotland, so I flew from LA to Scotland for the funeral-basically a long weekend! She was such an amazing woman! I hope I can be just like her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are rocking my world with these reviews! Thanks sooo much! And I love the can of DP. Best drink on the planet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always good to hear about people that run for causes.

    I had the chance to chat a little with David Goggins last week and he does all of his runs to help out a charity for children of killed soldiers. It is very inspiring.

    Excellent job on that marathon Cody. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I think we all can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i need to watch it and review it too! so i am not going to read this until after :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a great review of the movie! Ok, where can I get my hands on one of these dvds???

    ReplyDelete