Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Doggie Challenge

It's been too long since Zoey made an appearance in this blog. Who doesn't love a cute puppy??!!!

There is a reason, other than her adorableness, that she has made the blog today. I signed her up with her very own BuckeyeOutdoors account. Why, you ask? Nik and Dan from 4 Feet Running started a challenge called "Let's Stop Chewing Things Around the House" for doggies who walk/run! The goal for Mr. Pi and I, is to see how many miles she has to walk/run in a week to be sufficiently exhausted and without extra energy to chew up our stuff! Nik says, 19 miles for the week and her doggies are content to not chew. I'm hoping it takes little 20 lb Zoey less than 19 miles but we shall see. More updates on Zoey and her chewing (or hopefully, lack of) to come!

In other news, I have started my pre-San Diego training plan. Actually, I started last Saturday. The pre-plan includes 2 full weeks of cross training. Tomorrow, Gazelle's and I will be hittin' the pool at 6:00 am! She's nervous and I couldn't be more excited! I LOVE the pool! I don't know why I stayed away for so long. Sunday's swim really got me jazzed about adding swimming back into my life. I'm so excited Gazelle's is willing to give it a go too…for me, the hardest thing about swimming is getting myself to the pool. Once I'm there I'm golden! Also, included in the pre-plan is weight training. I haven't been very good about weight training. I know with my knee injury it's important to keep my leg muscles balanced and strong. And for vanity's sake, we are in the downward slope to summer which means tank tops…which means I need to tone up my arm giggles!

The most interesting thing about this pre-plan is that it includes 0 running. In the weeks leading up to Arizona, all I wanted was a break from running. My knees hurt, my feet hurt, I was sick and just in general, burnt out on running. I wanted a break. Funny thing is, now that I have one, I'm already itching to get back out on the roads (or treadmill…I'm a wimp in any sort of weather…I am certainly NOT a Minnesotan). I'll be runnin' again in no time.

I haven't talked much about eating in awhile. During this time off between marathon training, I've decided to really take a good look at my food intake. Between now and April I'd like to lose a few lbs which will hopefully make those higher mileage weeks easier on my knees. So far, I've been trying to eat slower and really listen to body when it says "I'm full." I've also been keeping my food journal going with FitDay, though I do find their limited catalogue annoying. If anyone knows of other free online food journals, let me know!