Monday, January 5, 2009

2008: Year in Review/2009: The Year Ahead

After the craziness of the wonderful holidays I have had a chance to think about 2008. To review the good, the bad and the ugly! And, also to plan ahead for 2009. In doing so, I have modified my original goals just a bit for more realistic goals and also added a few more personal goals.

To start my review of 2008 on a positive note, here are a few of my “good” running and personal feats of the year:

1. I ran a marathon!

2. I ran 795 miles (not quite my goal of 800 but very close)

3. I started a blog (and have subsequently made a whole bunch of virtual friends who have helped me tremendously…I’ve even met some in person…and meet some regularly for runs!)

4. I started my first career track job in which I’ve gained tons of great experience to take with me in my next quest

5. I became a puppy mom

Onto the “bad”:

1. I’ve gained about 12 lbs since my 2007 wedding

2. I injured my knee and haven’t been able to train as much as I’d like

3. Both of my grandmothers passed away

4. I’ve gone through periods of feeling isolated far away from friends and family (hence, part of the reason for #1, I found comfort in the ice cream carton)

And finally, my one “ugly”:

1. I still get really bad blisters on my pinky toes and my left instep…no matter what I use…duct tape, band aids, new skin, mole skin, body glide…I’ve tried it all

All in all, my “goods” far outweigh the “bads” and uglies-poor feet.” Looking ahead to 2009, I have decided to modify my goals just a tad, some I’ve kept the same.

In honor of it being 2009, I have 9 goals:

1. Run three marathons (Arizona- goal is to finish; San Diego- goal is to break five hours; Unnamed Marathon #3, hopefully also the blogger marathon meet up- goal is 4:30)

2. Run a half in 2:15 or less

3. Run 1000 miles for the year

4. Run a 100 mile month (without getting injured!)

5. Read at least 1 book per month

6. Contribute more regularly to my savings

7. Pay off my car

8. Be more social (i.e. plan more Portland Blogger happy hours J)

9. Lose 15 lbs (this being the most cliché goal but losing 15 would take the weight I’ve gained off, plus a couple of pounds…I’m hoping losing weight will help bring up my speed)

You’ll have to keep reading throughout the year to see how my progress is coming along.