Thursday, November 6, 2008

Soul searching...

Wow, what a week. I'm still in awe of Tuesday night’s monumentous election results. The election results have really inspired me to think about my future. (No I'm not thinking about running for public office...are you crazy???!!) I've been thinking more about what I want to accomplish in my professional life and what I see as my professional strengths. Tuesday night reinvigorated my desire to move back to DC. I know it's really only a pipe dream but I thought about how incredible it would be to be part of the Obama Administration, even as a peon. I've always enjoyed the policy work and the research that goes into creating policy. This led to reflecting on my current position, which is a far cry from policy work. Don't get me wrong I really like my job BUT I'm not sure my current position is fully utilizing my strengths. I know there isn't a "perfect" job but I think there may be better ones. Of course, I wouldn’t abandon my team right before the start of a legislative session but who knows in 9 months time what will happen. Hubby, who I will now refer to as Mr. Pi, may decide not to continue with his PhD program in OR and may get a great job offer, who knows where. Life has such an interesting way of surprising us! Enough with the soul searching rant...

On to....my workouts. Doing pretty well this week...Bikram on Monday with Gazelle's, it felt great after my long run Sunday. Tuesday...I was bad. Wednesday, 6 miles (with 2 miles of pyramid fartleks). Today, so far, bad! (I know this is not an excuse but I'm just so tired. The late night meetings this week really took it out of me.) Tomorrow, I have 3 miles scheduled. Since I don't think I'm getting in my 3 for today, I'll probably run 4 tomorrow and an easy 2 Saturday to get caught up before my long run. One thing I vowed to Gazelle's and Sarah this afternoon via email is that starting next week I'm going to try really hard not to let work get in the way of exercise. I'm a happier and more productive employee when I get in my workouts. This may mean changing my schedule slightly to come in earlier/later or leave earlier/later BUT I've made a plan for next week and I'm stickin' to it.

It's almost Friday--YAY! (It's T - 58 minutes till the Office, double yay!)