Sunday, November 2, 2008

49 hour weekend

While I don't enjoy the sun setting earlier, making the daylight hours shorter, I DO enjoy my "fall back" extra hour of sleep. Waking up this morning at 6:45am by Zoey's lovely dog breath wasn't so bad since really it was 7:45am. All day I felt rested, a feeling I haven't felt in awhile since it's been a whirl wind month for us.

J and I met Gazelle's around 9:30am downtown for a run. Gazelle's is working back from a knee injury and planned 4 miles for the day but she and I ended up running closer to 5 miles together along the river. (Our Garmin's weren't quite synchronized b/c I had us running 4.92 in 57:23 and hers said something like 59 and change.) We took a couple of walk breaks but overall did quite well. I've never had a running buddy as most of my friends fall into one of two camps: Camp A) super speedy runners who I could only keep up with for 1/10 of a mile -OR- Camp B) Why run when I can watch TV? It was great to have someone to talk to and motivate me to keep going. I'm hoping we can work in some weekday runs, as the weather gets crappier I'll need the motivation.

Around mile 5 she crossed the Morrison bridge and headed back to her car and I decided to hit the Springwater Trail. During the first 5 miles of the run, my legs felt great, I wasn't tired (just dealing with a bit of indigestion, yuck! TMI), it wasn't raining and not too cold. That all changed around mile 7. The wind picked up (never fun when it's windy and you're sweaty) AND it started to rain. A little at first then, a downpour. For those that have been reading the blog for awhile know that I despise the rain! I would rather run indoors on the treadmill than run in the rain. Needless to say, the downpour didn't make me very happy BUT luckily it didn't last long. Before I knew it, I was back on the Morrison bridge myself heading for J and I's meetup spot (he ran on the Springwater Trail for his 14 miler). I finished the 10 miles in 1:58:48 (and only had to wait about 10 minutes or so for J finish his 14 miles, he falls into Camp A). Not the fastest I've ever run but as I was telling Gazelle's, for training runs I just want to get the miles done.

The rest of the day has been rather uneventful. Trying to soak up the last glimpses of the fall leaves before the rain and wind of this coming week blow them all to the ground. I know there were a few racers this weekend and quite a few peeps doing long training runs for upcoming races. Hope everyone enjoyed the extra hour of sleep!