Monday, June 23, 2008

She's gone the distance...now she's going for SPEED

After a weekend of celebrating in the wine country where numerous glasses of wine were consumed it was time to get back to the gym this morning. I, like many fellow runners, am a morning person. Despite having a desk job, at the end of the day I sometimes feel like I've slaved away at the construction site (or some other manual labor job). How is it that sitting all day can make one so tired? (Along the same lines, how is it that an hour in a clothing store and men are yawning and half asleep but an hour at Best Buy and they're super energized, so much so that they buy the biggest flat screen TV AND will carry it to the car themselves? Justin has never done this but I'll bet some guy has.--That was random.) I mostly choose to workout in the mornings in case something comes up after work my workout will already be checked off the list. It is far more likely that a fun event (i.e. happy hour!) will come up at 5pm than 5am. Most mornings the first few minutes are a struggle, especially to get the first foot on the ground and leave the comfy, warm, snuggly bed but this morning was especially difficult. It was one of those mornings I needed one of those crazy alarm clocks that roll around and make you chase it to turn it off. However, I did manage to get myself out of bed and to the gym. I chose to do some cross training this morning though, for fear that in my still sleepy stupor, I might fall off the treadmill. Tomorrow morning I plan to start my speedwork series. Justin and I don't have any races planned (so far) until January, so I'd like to take my base training time to work on speed.

I am slow...there is no two ways about it...I just am. Like, Tall Girl Running, I am tall (5'11''). Add to my height, a somewhat awkward stride (Justin calls it the "bunny"), a few too many starbucks frapaccinos/bowls of ice cream and it is no big surprise that I'm slow. My marathon was a disappointing 6:01 and change. I'd like to cut this by a half hour in Arizona and by next May at the SD RnR be down to 5 hours. Ultimately, down the road I would love to cut my time to a 4:30 but I don't want to get too ahead of myself. Hence, adding speedwork to my training plan. Here is my plan (anyone with speedwork advice please weigh in):

1. Start with Fartlek's 2. Add in some track speed work

I've consulted the RW training calculator as well as Jenny Hadfield's pace calculator and determined some speed parameters.

Tempo: 10 m/m Vo2Max: 8:45 m/m Speed Form Training: 8:16 m/m Yasso 800s: 4:38/800 (not quite sure what this really means yet...need to do more research on Yasso 800s) Easy Pace: 11:22 m/m Long run pace: 11:22 - 12:46 m/m

Wednesday I plan to start with a Pyramid Fartlek (Tomorrow is a cardio/weights class.)

Warm-up at 11:45 (10 minutes)

Run for 2 minutes at 8:45 m/m, jog slowly or walk for 1 minute Run for 2 minutes at 9:00 m/m, jog slowly or walk for 1 minute Run for 2 minutes at 9:30 m/m, jog slowly or walk for 1 minute Run for 2 minutes at 10:00 m/m, jog slowly or walk for 1 minute Run for 2 minutes at 9:30 m/m, jog slowly or walk for 1 minute Run for 2 minutes at 9:00 m/m, jog slowly or walk for 1 minute Run for 2 minutes at 8:45 m/m, jog slowly or walk for 1 minute

Cool-down at 11:45 (10 minutes)

I'm hoping to just finish this workout without keeling over! For some, running at an 8:45-9:00 m/m pace is nothing, but for me it's close to sprinting.

Wish me luck for Wednesday morning!